Saturday, March 24, 2012

RIP TJ


There are now bouquets and messages of remembrance up on the central railings at the pedestrian crossing on Deptford Church Street by Bronze Street where TJ was knocked off his bike and killed by a hit-and-run driver in an allegedly stolen car yesterday afternoon. 

The local press clearly have better things to do on a Friday afternoon than cover the news and, as yet, I've still not found any local journalist who has bothered to report it.  All I have managed to find is the traffic delay reports (oh the inconvenience!) so all I know about it is just from asking around.  Reports are that he was taken to hospital by air ambulance but died around midnight.

I'm sure Crossfields residents would wish to join me in offering our deepest sympathy to TJ's family and friends.  RIP TJ

EDIT:  According to a posted comment, the air ambulance did not take him, instead he was taken to hospital by road ambulance.

UPDATE (25/03/2012): 

The Newshopper finally got round to publishing its account this morning.  I've copied the article in full:

17-year-old cyclist killed in Deptford hit and run

POLICE are appealing for witnesses following a hit and run accident in Deptford which killed a 17-year-old cyclist.
Officers were called at around 5pm on Friday to Deptford Church Street, at the junction with Bronze Street.
A 17-year-old boy, named locally as TJ, had been knocked off of his bicycle by a silver Audi car as he was using the pedestrian crossing.
The car failed to stop and the driver continued south along Deptford Church Street, then turned around at the traffic lights before coming back to the scene.
Eventually, the driver stopped on the opposite carriageway before driving off again, turning left into Coffey Street.
The car, which had not been reported as stolen, was found abandoned in Watergate Street, Deptford, at around 7pm.
The cyclist was taken by London's Air Ambulance to King Collage Hospital with severe injuries and died there at 8.20pm.
Next of kin are aware but formal identification has yet to take place.
Inquiries are underway to trace the driver of the vehicle involved.
Anyone with information can contact the Road Death Investigation Unit at Catford Traffic Garage on 0208 285 1574 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

UPDATE (26/03/2012):
The Met Police say: "A 27-year-old man was arrested at approx 1430hrs on Saturday, 24 March, on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and failure to stop. He has been bailed to a date in May."

There is an Evening Standard article by a journalist who has actually spoken to TJ's uncle here: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/london/tribute-to-special-guy-killed-in-hitandrun-7585657.html



18 comments:

  1. he was actually taken to hospital by road ambulance. the air ambulance came promptly and stayed for close to 30mins while they tried to resuccitate him but it then left as he was taken in the road ambulance. i assumed his injuries were too dangerous to fly him with the issues of oxygen with the high altitude etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, thanks for the clarification, anon. In the absence of any local press, any information is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really saddened about this young man's death. Why has it not been reported on local news or news websites? I live just round the corner and with the amount of police and emergency vehicles involved, along with a main road closure lasting over 3 hours during rush hour, I'm not sure why this has passed reporters by. I was out and about around 5ish and there were lots of police driving through the backstreets of Deptford/New Cross and a police helicopter circling overhead - I assume they were looking for the car in case it had been dumped near by.

    Very, very sad. RIP TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. TJ was a member of Second Wave Youth Arts, based at the Deptford Methodist Mission. It was some of his friends who made a presentation on Convoys Wharf this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found out last night TJ was gone. My heart sank. I went to the same school as him in the same year and same english and ICT class. He was a brother to me. I saw him only a few days before this accident it still hasnt hit me yet that's he's gone. It's way too sudden. I went to where it happened and couldn't believe the damage that was done. I laid my flowers there today and saw all my other school friends we stood where the car had hit the steel railings reminiscing about the times TJ made an impact on us. He was deputy head boy and Prom King. Absolute swell guy. Never caused trouble and minded his own business. He never ever deserved this to happen to him. R.I.P TJ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I walked through Greenwich and Deptford yesterday afternoon and couldn't believe the traffic hold-ups and thanked God I was on foot. A friend said they were stuck on a bus in New Cross. I thought one of the tunnels must be closed. Back on Creekside I heard the sirens and the helicopter and assumed there had been a car breakdown as a result of the jams. I cursed the drivers who were using Creekside as a rat-run.

    Hearing this news now, I am devastated to know the real reason for it all.

    I didn't know TJ but it turns out I do know people who kept him close to their heart. My heart goes out to them and all his friends and family. I'm pretty sure he'll be remembered for a helluva lot more than holding up traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had known TJ since I was 7/8 years old. When I went to the same secondary school as him -Addey and Stanhope- he looked out for me, he was in the year above and taught me how to get on in school, both socially and academically. My friends and I have all agreed that its just not sinking in that he's gone. He was a good boy; not in a gang, no drugs, worked hard. What breaks my heart is that he hasnt seen his mum in many years and for a parent to hear about such terrible news while away on traveling for work its just not right, no parent should outlive their children
    stay blessed TJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once more, the death of one of our youth saddens us all!

    I would like to give my condolences to TJ's parents, his family, his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TJ GONE TOO SOON, GONE TOO SOON, GONE TOO SOON. EVERYTIME WE SAW YOU THE FIRST THING THAT WE SAW WAS YOUR SMILE........ THIS JUST LEAVES ME TO ASK THE QUESTION.....WHY IS IT THE GOOD DIE YOUNG?..... YOU ARE SADLY MISSED AND THE MEMORIES OF YOU WILL ALWAYS BE RIGHT HERE IN OUR HEARTS.... YOU WERE SO HUMBLE, KIND AND GENTLE...... I AM HOPING THAT YOU ARE AT A PLACE OF REST AT LEAST YOU ARE NOT IN THIS WRETCHED WORLD OF MISERY AND RESTLESSNESS..........RIP

    ReplyDelete
  10. R.I.P TJ... Gone But NEVER Forgotten.. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were the sweetest well mannered little boy i have ever met. May your soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never knew TJ, but i am devastaed by his death. i was walking on the opposite side of the road when i noticed TJ laying on the ground, an so i ran over. Being a Student Nurse, i quickly check his airways and checked if he was breathing. when i realised he wasnt breathing i said to the Doctor working with me... we need to start CPR! TJ had his legs tangled in the bike that he was on, so we quickly removed the bike and started CPR and continued till the paramedics arrived. I prayed and prayed that God would spare his life, but i guess God decided he wanted TJ to be with him. MY thoughts and prayers are with the family at this traggic time. i did my best, im so sorry it wasnt enough... RIP TJ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve Gisanrin (T.J's Uncle)Monday, April 02, 2012

    The uncomprehenable outpouring of sympathy, the kind acts of friends ,those that we didn't know before this unfortunate incident and the comfort in knowing that our loss is felt by many is what is keeping us strong. We'll appreciate the student nurse (Zee) who started CPR on T.J to attend his funeral service for for T.J will on Tuesday, April 24, 2012 (11:00 a.m.) at the St Paul’s Cathedral Church in Deptford.
    On behalf of our entire family and friends of T.J ,I want to sincerely thank you all for your kind comment and sharing in our pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      I spoke to you a few days ago. Since then, we've spoken to the tenants' and residents' association about putting some kind of memorial to TJ in place in the Sue Godfrey Community Garden on Crossfields and they are happy with this - close to the spot but a little more tranquil. If you read this (or if any family or friends do and can pass this message on) please send a contact address to the crosswhatfields@gmail.com address so we can talk about what you feel might be fitting.

      Delete
    2. Hello Steve,

      After hearing this, i am feeling very sorry for T.J and for you at the same time. its not fair that he gone too early. i wish & pray to almighty that he will rest in peace in Haven.

      Delete
  14. What a tragic loss. I went to the same school as him. Although I was in a year below him, I came across him many times and was always aware of the respect he commanded of those in presence. May his soul rest and may Jesus raise his soul at his second coming. A massive loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been nearly six months since TJ was taken from us all. I have known him since he was 10.. so 7/8 years. He lived next door to me..and then next door to my dad when we moved out, we still stayed very close. He was a big brother to my little brother. It's so sad and I still, to this day, don't know when I'm going to be able to accept it. Me and my little brother grew up with him and it's not right that he is now not here. He was the year above me in school, Addey and Stanhope, he looked out for me and made sure I went down the right path. I knew I could turn to him if I needed to. I cried for house when I knew he'd gone, I couldn't control myself, it just wouldn't stop. He was a big part of my life. He's never coming back. He's gone waaaay too soon. I'll never forget you TJ, I'll always think of your uncles as my uncles, they have definatly deserved that title, I will look after your family, just like they all look after us. Sleep tight beautiful angel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. R.I.P TJ
    Gone but never forgotten soldier
    Your soul in a better place now thank God you didn't die in vain xxx

    ReplyDelete